Sphinx Virtuosi: "Music without Borders — Music unites the world when words fail."
As part of one of the world’s most dynamic chamber orchestras, these 18 professional players are among the nation’s acclaimed Black and Latino professional solo instrumentalists and chamber musicians. Music Without Borders, an electrifying and haunting program, features works by Shostakovich, Cassadó, Emmy Award-nominated Syrian-American composer Kareem Roustom and a commission by Grammy Award-winning trumpeter Terence Blanchard. Through Music Without Borders, these cultural ambassadors share the journey of various communities from around the world who seek peace, harmony and refuge from hardship due to conflict.
- Gaspar Cassadó (1897-1966) - Cello Suite No. 3
- Dmitri Shostakovich (1906-1975) - String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110, "Chamber Symphony"
- Yasushi Akutagawa (1925-1989) - Triptyque for String Orchestra
- Miguel del Aguila (b.1957) - Life is a Dream
- Kareem Roustom - Dabke from "A Voice Exclaiming”
- Terence Blanchard (b.1962) - Concerto for Sphinx Virtuosi