Orion Weiss, piano
One of the most sought-after soloists in his generation of young American musicians, Orion Weiss has performed with the major American orchestras including the Chicago Symphony, Boston Symphony, Los Angeles Philharmonic, and New York Philharmonic. His deeply felt and exceptionally crafted performances go far beyond his technical mastery and have won him worldwide acclaim. His passionate musicianship also shines through as a recitalist and chamber musician. A recipient of an Avery Fisher Career Grant and Classical Recording Foundation’s Young Artist of the Year.
- Leoš Janáček: In the Mists
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata in A Major, Op. 101
- Johannes Brahms: Six Pieces for Piano, Op. 118
- Alberto Ginastera: Sonata No. 1
"…an effortlessly brilliant performer…With technique to burn and strongly personable energy.”
—The Arizona Republic
Engagement at The Clarice is characterized by facilitated audience interactions with artists, scholars and community leaders that are focused on process and research rather than product and performance.
- As part of the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the International Piano Archives at Maryland, Orion Weiss was taken on a tour, led by IPAM lead archivist, Donald Manildi.
- Students from the UMD School of Music were coached by Orion Weiss in a master class on Wednesday evening that was open to the public.
- Students, faculty and staff from all partnering units in The Clarice had a chance to converse informally with Weiss, asking him questions about his life and his career path.