Terps win at 2015 Helen Hayes Awards
This blog post is by Emily Schweich, junior broadcast journalism major.
Congratulations to the winners of the Helen Hayes Awards 2015! The Helen Hayes is the highest honor theatre professionals receive regionally. Recipients from the School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies are Dan Conway, Associate Professor and Head of MFA in Design graduate program; Mitchell Hébert, Professor of Theatre Performance; Eric Van Wyk, MFA Scenic Design ’07; Aaron Posner, Adjunct Professor; and Jason Schlafstein, BA Theatre Performance ’08.
- Outstanding Set Design - Helen Production: Dan Conway for "Tiny Tim's Christmas Carol," Adventure Theatre MTC
- Outstanding Set Design - Hayes Production: Eric J. Van Wyk, "The BFG," Imagination Stage
- Outstanding Play or Musical Adaptation: Patrick McDonnell, Aaron Posner and Erin Weaver; Andy Mitton, "The Gift of Nothing," Kennedy Center
- Outstanding Musical-Hayes Production (TIE): "Side Show," Kennedy Center AND "Sunday in the Park With George," Signature Theatre (featuring Mitchell Hébert)
- John Aniello Award for Emerging Theater Company: Flying V Theatre (producing artistic director – Jason Schlafstein)
The winners were recognized at a ceremony at the Lincoln Theatre Monday night. TDPS alumni and faculty are frequent winners of Helen Hayes Awards, exemplifying TDPS’s unique contribution to DC’s growing theatre culture.