Orchestral Fellowships at NOI+F provide a month of intensive rehearsals, intimate masterclasses, insightful seminars and electrifying performances as part of the Grammy-nominated NOI Philharmonic. Participants work closely with faculty drawn from leading North American symphony orchestras and conservatories. Conductors, rotating on a weekly basis, are visionaries on the podium and offer many decades of orchestral wisdom and leadership. NOI+F orchestral fellows are also active in our community engaging with new audiences and performing in non-traditional venues. Combining the demands of chamber music with the precision of large scale symphonic repertoire, orchestral fellows participate in NOI+F's Conductorless Orchestra. This special artistic exploration (nationally-unique to NOI+F) allows students to craft their own interpretation of a symphonic piece.
- All NOI+F Orchestral Fellowship recipients receive a full scholarship for their tuition to the festival.
- Application and room and board fees are the responsibility of each fellow.
- All Orchestral Fellows must be between the ages of 18 and 30 on May 31, 2023.
- At this time, NOI+F participants are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- November 1, 2022: Orchestral Fellowship application opens
- February 15, 2023: Orchestral Fellowship applications are due
- March 1, 2023: Applicants will be notified of audition results
The dates for the 2023 National Orchestral Institute + Festival are (arrive between 10am and 3pm) Wednesday, May 31 - Sunday, July 2, 2023 (depart anytime).
Apply + Audition
All auditions for NOI+F 2023 will be by recorded video audition. Your recorded video must contain all audition materials for your instrument recorded in one continuous take with no cuts, interruptions or edits (see special requirements for percussion applicants). Please only submit ONE FILE containing all solos and excerpts played in one take. DO NOT submit multiple files containing separate excerpts. There will be no live or in-person auditions for NOI+F 2023.
Requirements for 2023 auditions are as follows:
- All applicants must submit video auditions for NOI+F 2023. Video auditions must be performed in the order listed and without accompaniment. Please note: audio-only recordings will not be accepted.
- Videos must be recorded in one continuous-sequence, with no interruptions or cuts. Submissions must be recent and should not be edited in any way. Please only submit ONE VIDEO FILE containing all solos and excerpts played in one take.
- DO NOT submit multiple files containing separate excerpts.
- We recommend using a good microphone in a room that allows for the best sound possible.
- File-types supported: MPEG, MPG, MP4, OGG, MOV, AVI, WMV
- Special Requirements for Percussion Applicants:
- Percussion video auditions must contain all of the audition repertoire submitted as two separate files.
- File 1: a continuous recording showing all timpani requirements
- File 2: a continuous recording showing all percussion requirements—all pieces should be played without accompaniment.
Learn more about 2023 repertoire by visiting our Conductors + Repertoire page.
Learn more about 2023 faculty by visiting our Faculty page.
How much does it cost?
All NOI+F participants receive a significant scholarship to cover their tuition. Additional scholarships are available based on merit and financial need.
- All members receive a significant scholarship valued at over $4,000 to attend the National Orchestral Institute + Festival
- 2023 Application Fees:
- $50 - Before December 15, 2023
- $70 - December 15, 2023 and later
- University of Maryland students apply with no fee! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to for further instructions
- All application fees are non-refundable
Program Fee: $525
- Due at the time of your acceptance into the program
The program fee is non-refundable and not applicable toward other program costs
There are two options for housing at NOI+F. Fellows are welcome to purchase on- campus housing through NOI+F, or to arrange their own accommodations for their time at the festival.
Option 1: On Campus Housing (arranged through NOI+F, meals not included)
- Double Room (Apartment with kitchen): $1476.00
- Single Room (Apartment with kitchen, limited availability): $1748.00
- Estimated housing costs for 2023. Subject to change.
All rooms are located on the University of Maryland campus in an air-conditioned apartment.
You will select your housing options upon acceptance into the program. Housing fees are due on or before check-in to the program. (Housing fees are subject to change.)
Option 2: Off Campus Housing (arranged on your own)
- Fellows may arrange their own local housing if desired.
- Sublets for the duration of NOI+F near the University of Maryland campus can be found through a variety of websites. A list of resources will be provided to all fellows upon acceptance.
- Other housing options may be available through UMD Greek Life Housing.
NOI does not provide a meal plan for participants due to the large number of eating establishments located on the University of Maryland campus and surrounding area. On campus housing apartments have a full kitchen in each apartment that is stocked with basic kitchen items.
Participants that wish to park their car on the University of Maryland campus will be required to purchase a parking permit from the University. Campus parking fees are set by the University’s Department of Transportation and are not under the purview of NOI+F. Discounted satellite parking options will be made available closer to the festival. More information will be made available regarding the cost and specific parking locations upon acceptance.
Wireless internet access is available to participants throughout the UM campus for a nominal fee. Free internet is available to Eduroam members. (Check to see if your current college/university participates in Eduroam)
Questions + Additional Information
If you have additional questions or would like additional information, contact us at email@example.com or 301.405.2317.