Percussion Audition Requirements
All percussion applicants must submit a recorded video audition. Please follow the application instructions here to apply and upload your audition application.
- Marimba — Any four-mallet solo of your choice (maximum 3 minutes)
- Timpani — Delecluse: Etude No. 29 from 30 Etudes for Timpani
Required Excerpts (All excerpts are required)
- Timpani — Beethoven: Symphony No. 9, mvt. 1, mm. 513-end; Strauss: Rosenkavalier, Quick Waltz
- Snare Drum — Prokofiev: Lt. Kije mvt. 1, Reh. 13 - 5 after reh. 14; Rimsky-Korsakov: Scherezade mvt. 4, P-R
- Xylophone — Gershwin: Porgy and Bess measures 1-18; Stravinsky: Firebird, King Kastchei Dance Reh. 127-133
- Cymbals — Tchaikovsky: Romeo & Juliet two before O to 12 after
Submission guidelines for percussion video auditions:
Video auditions must contain all of the audition repertoire submitted as two files:
- File 1: a continuous take showing all timpani, snare drum, and cymbals excerpts
- File 2: a continuous take showing all marimba and xylophone excerpts
- Each file must be a continuous and unedited segment. Do not pause the recording equipment between excerpts. Any indication that the video has been edited or that the video equipment has been stopped during the audition, will result in disqualification.
- All pieces should be played without accompaniment.
- The following video formats are accepted: MPEG, MPG, MP4, OGG, MOV, AVI, WMV
- Files must be less than 1GB in size. If you need to submit a larger file, please contact the NOI office for instructions.
- Please use Google Chrome or Safari web browser for this form. Firefox will not allow you to upload your files.