Committed to further advancing the power of diversity in the arts, The Sphinx Organization and the National Orchestral Institute + Festival offer this joint fellowship that combines arts administration, orchestral performance, festival curation and community engagement. The fellow will work with the Director of the NOI+F on the planning, recruitment and execution of the festival over a 13-month period to advance their careers as orchestral musicians and provide a creative platform for shaping the orchestra of the future. The fellow is accepted by application and chosen jointly by NOI+F and The Sphinx Organization. Following their first summer at the institute, they will begin a yearlong artistic and administrative collaboration with the Director of NOI+F and staff of The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center to plan the following summer’s festival.
The fellow will work remotely with general responsibilities ranging from 10-12 hours per month, excluding participation in the festival and the two residencies. The fellowship provides a monthly stipend of $300, tuition remission from NOI+F, domestic travel and housing during the festival and retreats.
Orchestral • As musicians of extemporary talent, each fellow will receive orchestral leadership assignments during their two summers at NOI+F, performing as principal players in one or more concerts. They will be section leaders in the conductorless chamber orchestras and participate fully in all seminars, masterclasses and sectionals.
Arts Administration • The fellow will receive real-world arts administration experience as they work with the Director of NOI+F to provide creative input on shaping future seasons of the festival. Each fellow will be mentored by The Clarice’s management team to gain additional perspectives in the field of arts administration, including the areas of development, marketing, finance, community engagement, production and entrepreneurship.
Community Engagement • The fellows will work directly with The Claric'es Assistant Director for Campus and Community Engagement to create meaningful interactions between NOI+F and the local community. Each fellow will design and implement one concert in The Clarice’s surrounding community.
- NOI+F Sphinx Fellowship will take place between May 24 and July 2, 2021.
- Applications for the NOI+F Sphinx Fellowship will open in Winter 2021.
One fellow will be selected every year.
Apply + Audition
In addition to fulfilling application and audition requirements for the Orchestral Fellowship, candidates interested in the NOI+F Sphinx Fellowship must meet the following requirements:
- This fellowship is open to Black and Latinx classical musicians.
- All applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 years of age on May 24, 2021.
- Applicants must submit a project proposal: As part of your fellowship, you will be guided in the creation of a project of your choosing that addresses the future of symphony orchestras. Submit a project brief that outlines one possible idea for your project, its goals and desired impact and budget. Some examples of projects applicants may focus on include innovation in K-12 programming, new marketing strategies, unique partnerships or activities to broaden audience participation. (750 words maximum)
Learn more about 2021 orchestral repertoire by visiting our Conductors + Repertoire page.
Learn more about 2021 faculty by visiting our Faculty page.
Learn more about 2021 costs of attendance by visiting our Fees + Housing page.
Questions + Additional Information
If you have additional questions or would like additional information, contact us at email@example.com or 301.405.2317.