Position: Wardrobe Supervisor
Payroll Title: Office Clerk II
Status: Contingent I
Reports to: Costume Shop Manager, Production Coordinator, Production Manager
Supervises: Student Personnel
Pay Rate: $20/hour
The Clarice is looking to hire Wardrobe Supervisors to support performances at the University of Maryland, College Park. Our most urgent need is for Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies (TDPS) shows this spring semester, starting with the Faculty Dance Concert at the beginning of March.
For TDPS shows, we are looking for supervisors to train the undergraduate wardrobe crew in the basics of running wardrobe which involves checking in, pressing/steaming, assisting with quick changes, etc. The calls start with the "Crew View" rehearsal and go through the Final Dress, then possibly returning to lead strike (strike is negotiable). Calls are evenings on weekdays, daytime and evenings on weekends.
For Opera shows, we are looking for supervisors to run the entirety of the show, from Final Room Run to Closing. Calls are a mix of daytime and evenings.
For The Clarice's Visiting Artists Series, we provide wardrobe support to touring shows we host in our building. This is primarily laundry/steaming with occasional quick change help. Most calls are during the week.
The Wardrobe Supervisor provides assistance to the Costume Shop Manager in the day-to-day operations of the
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for assisting in the execution of
the wardrobe needs for any given production. The Wardrobe Supervisor may also work on special projects as
appointed by the Costume Shop Manager or Production staff. The Wardrobe Supervisor will also work alongside
paid and unpaid personnel in a supervisory/training capacity.
- Assist the Costume Shop Manager with assigned projects of a more complex scope; which may include
stock maintenance, organization and planning, cleaning and administrative assistance.
- Maintain costume styles for Center productions as directed by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Provide costume maintenance guidance to student workers as directed by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Assist at fittings and with wardrobe preparation as directed by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Complete paper and electronic timesheets by University deadlines.
- Supervise (in the absence of the Manager) any students within the shop, stage, or other venues as required
by the activities of the shop.
- Position may include supervised and unsupervised fabrication or modification of costumes as directed by
the Costume Shop staff.
Must have sound and demonstrated costume construction skills and professional standards regarding performing arts production including strong work ethic and professional demeanor.
High School Diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in Costume Construction or Design preferred.
Three years progressively responsible work in both Costume and Wardrobe capacities.
- Knowledge of organizational structure and operation of tech/dress rehearsals.
- Ability to generate proper run documentation.
- Basic sewing and repair skills.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has
gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be
substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being
equivalent to one year of experience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Jen Daszczyszak at firstname.lastname@example.org.