The 2018 National Orchestral Institute will accept applications and hear auditions for the following instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, tuba, harp, percussion, violin, viola, cello and double bass.
All musicians who are between the ages of 18 and 28 on May 31, 2018 are eligible to apply. Application instructions appear below. (For audition locations and dates, visit NOI's Audition page.)
Application Procedure for Live Auditions
To register for a live audition, you must fill out the online application form for live auditions and pay the non-refundable application fee. Please be prepared to upload your resume when you fill out this form.
Applications for live auditions are accepted on a rolling basis. We will continue to accept applications until the audition site is full, at which point applications will be closed for that site. You are strongly encouraged to apply before the audition date in order to secure an individual audition time. Walk-in auditions may be available at selected audition sites.
Audition times will be posted to our website approximately 1 week prior to your requested audition date. If you have questions about the application process, please contact the NOI office by email or by phone at 301.405.2317.
Application Procedure for Video Recorded Auditions
Deadline: February 21, 2018 at 5pm EST
All percussion applicants are required to submit a video recorded audition. String, wind, and harp players that live more than 100 miles from their closest audition site are also permitted to submit a recorded audition. Do not submit a video recording if you live within 100 miles of one of our regional audition locations, or your application will be disqualified.
To submit a video audition, fill out the online application form and pay the non-refundable application fee. Please have your audition video and resume ready for upload when you fill out the application form. You will be required to submit both in order to complete the application form. All video applications must be received by 5PM on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
Guidelines for percussion video auditions:
- Video auditions must contain all of the audition repertoire submitted as two files:
- File 1: a continuous take showing all timpani, snare drum, and cymbals excerpts
- File 2: a continuous take showing all marimba and xylophone excerpts
- Each file must be a continuous and unedited segment. Do not pause the recording equipment between excerpts. Any indication that the video has been edited or that the video equipment has been stopped during the audition, will result in disqualification.
- All pieces should be played without accompaniment.
- The following video formats are accepted: MPEG, MPG, MP4, OGG, MOV, AVI, WMV
- Files must be less than 1GB in size. If you need to submit a larger file, please contact the NOI office for instructions.
- Please use Google Chrome or Safari web browser for this form. Firefox will not allow you to upload your files.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the NOI office by email or by phone at 301.405.2317.