SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The MilkBoy ArtHouse Venue Technician will oversee the execution and scheduling of technical needs at a variety of events at MilkBoy ArtHouse. This position’s primary responsibility is to provide onsite technical support in audio, lighting, and projections for events presented at the MilkBoy ArtHouse. The position also schedules all venue related staff for events at MilkBoy ArtHouse which request support. The Venue Technician facilitates and maintains an effective process, promotes a positive educational environment and ensures consistency of service to the clients and partners. This position requires a flexible schedule including nights, holidays, and weekends. This is a part time position with a minimum of 30 hours a week.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide direct, onsite technical support in audio, lighting, and projections for events presented at the MilkBoy ArtHouse.
- Serve as the Audio/Lighting Engineer as needed for various events, rehearsals, and performances.
- Create rehearsal and performance reports for each event.
- Provide guidance and advice for users of the MilkBoy ArtHouse venues.
- Manage requisite equipment and supplies.
- Prepare the venue for artists’ and event needs.
- When necessary operate the following:
-Various digital and analog audio mixing boards
-Lighting control systems
-Multimedia playback systems for projections
- Supervise any and all casual labor within the facility as required by the activities of the events.
- Supervise students and other users, in installation and operation of audio, lighting, and video equipment as necessary.
- Follow and instruct others on the rules and regulations of the MilkBoy ArtHouse.
- Assign and organize work shifts in within shift scheduling software.
- Establish a regular inventory of supplies, materials and hardware as needed and within established budgets.
- Oversee and maintain ongoing maintenance for all venue related equipment.
- Maintain inventory of consumables and submit to the Director of Operations any needed purchases.
- Maintain barcoding of all equipment that is not a consumable.
- Add new equipment to inventory system including new barcodes.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Maintain a safe work environment and safety procedures for The Clarice by maintaining certifications and trainings as necessary pertaining to the work at MilkBoy ArtHouse.
- Oversee and support a safe and effective work environment.
- Actively work to avoid any situation that would create an unsafe work environment.
- Secure any and all spaces related to events as assigned.
- Maintain and ensure that there is an inclusive environment for students to learn in. This includes actively creating opportunities for all students regardless of their physical abilities, age, sex, race, religion, and gender identity or expression.
- Prepare and instruct staff on current safety practices and standards.
- Actively engage/train/mentor staff through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed and conveys an enthusiasm for their learning.
List physical demands of position:
- Must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Restaurant/Club Environment
- High volume of standing and walking around venue
- Lifting of items 20lbs or less
- Bachelor’s degree in Multimedia Technology or related field AND One year in the operation and maintenance of audio-visual or multimedia equipment.
- OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of multimedia equipment; of basic media systems and facilities design.
- Skill in the operation and repair of multimedia equipment.
- Ability to lead and train subordinate personnel; to use personal computers; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to work over, under and around fixed equipment; to work in confined spaces; to lift and carry multimedia equipment.
- Experience working in an educational environment and/or teaching.
- An understanding of Yamaha Audio Systems, patching audio systems, ETC lighting control, and other lighting/audio software.
Submit application online at EJOBS.UMD.EDU. For best consideration, apply by Tuesday, May 1, 2018.