The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center is creating the NextNOW. We are building the future of the arts by educating, training and presenting the next generation of artists and creative innovators.
By shaping NextNOW audiences, experiences and artists, The Clarice breaks through traditional boundaries in art-making and audience development through the work of its 5 partners:
- The School of Music attracts a different kind of artist; one that understands tradition and celebrates curiosity.
- The School of Theatre, Dance and Performance Studies expands our capacity through performing arts to build communities, solve problems and create a life of meaning.
- The National and International Artist Partner Program nurtures new voices, new works, and new ways to explore and discover ourselves and the world in which we live.
- The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission partners to improve the quality of life through the arts for all citizens in a diverse and inclusive community.
- The Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library is transforming space, both virtual and physical into dynamic collaborative learning environments for all of us.
A hub of innovation and possibility, The Clarice is building the future of the arts now!
The Clarice is in the College of Arts and Humanities at the University of Maryland. As part of a major public research university, The Clarice is committed to collaboration and the creation and support of new work that further advances our knowledge and understanding, working in its creative radius.
The Clarice opened in 2001 and is a vital part of the arts ecology in Prince George’s County.